Thursday, January 15, 2009

Quick-Thinking Dancer Averts Peril for Other Performers

Quick-Thinking Dancer Averts Peril for Other Performers

Porterville, CA 1963- My dance class was invited to fill out a recital for another branch of the studio because they wanted more dancers on their program. So three of our class traveled about 45 miles from Firebaugh to the town of Porterville to perform our ballet dance. We entered the stage doing tight turns called chaine (shanay). My stiff plastic headband flew from my head and the centripetal force sent it spinning to center stage. (It was covered in the same aqua-colored taffeta our costumes and tuutuus were made of). As I danced I noticed my teacher in the wings worrying about the safety of the other dancers if it were left there and how to remove it.
We exited the traveling to stage right on our tiptoes with hands raised high over our heads. Being the tallest I was positioned in the middle of the line. I noticed the offending accessory was right in my path. So I swooped gracefully down and scooped it up without breaking stride. I remember the teacher's relieved expression and the energetic applause as I held it aloft.

No comments:

Post a Comment